Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What a day!

Seriously, today was one of those days. I had the weirdest stuff happen at work. Crazy calls. And then coming home and dealing with my son. He is going through this phase where he thinks he can do whatever and not have consequences. So we have tried almost everything in the book. The spanking didn't work, the time out didn't work, the taking the toys away didn't work, the going to bed early didn't work, and now we are doing the grounded thing which doesn't seem like it's working either. So we are lost at this point. Nothing phases this kid. He is like immune to every punishment. What in the world did we do to deserve this? Where did he come from? Sometimes I think maybe they had switched kids in the hospital because I don't ever remember me being anything like that as a child. He must of gotten it from my husband. He is acting up in school and thinks that we wont find out about it. His teacher has this color chart thing that she moves the color when she has to warn the children and each color that they go to has a consequence. So of course the last one is to the principle's office and they do spank them if it is necessary. But thank goodness he hasn't gotten to that point. He just has a big problem with keeping his mouth shut and keeping quiet. I get the daily report everyday about how he is talking too much and wont keep quiet. He is also refusing to read during his reading group time. I asked him the other day why he doesn't read when it is his turn and he said, "it's just not my thing". What? Not his thing. What 7 yr old says that? I couldn't believe he said that. I told him I didn't care if it's not his thing because he doesn't have a choice in that matter. I explained to him about graduating and moving up to the 2nd grade and if he doesn't do better then he will have to fall behind. He goes to a private Christian school so they are much stricter and their curriculum is much advanced so I am glad that he is there. The tuition is very high and we told my son that we cant afford to have him do 1 st grade over and if he didn't do better than we would have to put him in a public school. He looked worried when I told him that. We also told him that if we don't start getting reports of him doing better than he will stay grounded. So far everyday he is coming back with a report of an "orange" day which is a warning. So I don't know how long we will have to continue with this grounding thing. I sware when I punish my child I feel like I'm punished. Its not fair! I hate it. Well, I better get going. American Idol is on. I love that show.

No comments: