Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Meaning of Christmas

I have been in denial for awhile that Christmas was coming. I have stayed away from the malls, the department stores, any where else that crowds were scrambling for presents. I am not one of those people that enjoy being smothered by others in a crowded aisle looking for anything that might be a possibility of a present. I hate waiting in a line for longer than 10 minutes so I can give my money away for something that probably doesn't even cost half the price to make it. I know I sound like the scrooge but honestly Christmas isn't what is should be anymore. Christmas has turned into nothing but money. The economy feeds off of holidays so they can take all our money and all we care about is what bargain or best gift we can find. What happen to the true meaning of Christmas. The word itself has diminished. We cant even use the word "Christmas" in some places. Stores have to say "Happy Holidays". It was never an issue before or people never made such a big deal over the word "Christmas". How can we stop using the word but still celebrate the day? The day was made to celebrate the birth of Christ, therefore, the day was named Christmas. No one is made to celebrate holidays if they do not want to so why change the name so you can just celebrate on a day for celebrating about the birth of Christ. For example, people who don't celebrate Hanukkah don't make a big deal about it and want to change the name and celebrate on that day. So why is it such a big deal that we say "Merry Christmas"? It has been a holiday that was named that for centuries and now we have come to a point that we cant even say it to one another. I am so sad and disappointed in what this world has come to. What will be next? I fear that this world will end up in a horrific ending. I just hope that me and my family will be passed on before it happens. "As for me and my family, I will serve the Lord".

No comments: